Chiprovtsi carpets - Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity
On 27.11.2014, at a session held in Paris, UNESCO's Intergovernmental Committee for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage inscribed unanimously “The tradition of carpet-making in Chiprovtsi” on the Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity. In this way, UNESCO gave a well-deserved appreciation and recognition of Chiprovtsi carpets and they received visibility for the international community, giving hope for a new revival of carpet-making in Chiprovtsi.
- The Committee has taken a decision that the carpet-making tradition in Chiprovtsi satisfies the criteria for inscription on the Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity, because:
- The knowledge and skills associated with making Chiprovtsi carpets are widely practised and transmitted from generation to generation. Incorporated in the everyday life of the people in the town, they remain cultural and promote social cohesion;
- Inscription of Chiprovtsi carpets on the Representative List could enhance the visibility of intangible cultural heritage, as well as strengthen dialogue among other communities near and far having weaving traditions;
- Continuing a long tradition of safeguarding this element, the proposed safeguard measures focus on promotion, transmission, research and education. The commitment of the State Party is clearly demonstrated (as if it was declared);
- Communities, local authorities and non-governmental organisations participated actively in the nomination process, and the communities – who themselves initiated the nomination – provided their free, prior and informed consent;
- The element is included in the national cultural heritage inventory created between 2001 and 2002 and maintained by the Ministry of Culture.
We express a special gratitude to the team that prepared the nomination of the tradition of carpet-making in Chiprovtsi: Prof. Mila Santova, Sen Ass. Iva Stanoeva PhD, and Sen. Ass. Miglena Ivanova PhD, Community Center “Petar Bogdan 1909”, Chiprovtsi Municipality, public figures and supporters.
UNESCO's high rating gives us strength and courage to work for the development of carpet-making, as well as for the promotion of Chiprovtsi carpets in Bulgaria and around the world.